Taj.... Episode 2


The infamous Vuto tribe? I kept asking myself as we walked on. I had picked up my pace without knowing and the knot I felt in my belly was not helping. Now I understood why and how Atema was able to move. I would too even if I had no legs. 

The Vuto tribe were an essential part of our story, the shadow thief, their legendary name, had been a thorn in the flesh of my people long before I was born. They were the scary stories parents told their children, a last resort when other forms of discipline failed.  
It had been almost a century since the last attack and for the first time in many years, we, the Hadza people, were beginning to release our fears and let go of the past. We were wrong. 

I felt a surge of anger rise up within me even as my steps quickened. 

How could we have allowed this happen to us? 

My mind drifted back to one of the nights by the bonfire while growing up. 

I had been accused of being reckless with my words by the village elders simple because I dared to question the plans put in place, should in case we were ever raided or attacked by the Vuto people or any tribe for that matter. 

I remember eaves dropping on the conversation between the elders and my grandmother, " she needs to remember where she belongs" they said "and learn to leave the heavy lifting for the men" 
Some heavy lifting they had done I hissed as something pierced my left foot.

This should never have happened. I whispered to myself; angry at the fact that we fled our homes like chickens without even putting up a fight 

Why were we finding it so difficult to learn from the past? 

"We are peaceful  people governed by Nabad- the spirit of peace and prosperity" my grandmother explained to me after my accusers had left. 

"But grandma, doesn't that make us easy preys?" the thought of vulnerability irked me 

" We must never be afraid my dear Taj. Our fate as a people has been fixed and cannot be take from us. We must accept that which we cannot do anything about.". She responded; only this time there was no wisdon in what i was hearing.

Everything my grandmother told me that night came in through one ear and left through the other. Especially when she said those who were governed by Nabad were never to wield weapons or be found in the war front. It became even more confusing. 
I thought gods were supposed to protect those loyal to them? This one to me seemed like she simply wanted to have fun at the expense of our lives. I made up my mind that I was going to find me some new god the moment I was old a enough to make that choice.

It was faint, but I heard it. The familiar and unsettling neigh of the horses. Similar to the ones that caused us to flee. I must have been right because the forest suddenly became very quiet. Everyone stood still; afraid the next step we take could compromise our safety and location.

My mothers grip tightened on my wrist as I desperately tried to quiet my rapidly beating heart. As though on cue, thunder clapped, the winds rapidly rustled the forest and trees around us and the heaven opened up it reservoir of rain. Suddenly we were surrounded by bright blinding lights, and horses that looked every much as fierce as their riders. There was no doubt in my heart that the elements and almighty Kibani  had conspired against us. 

Our captors encircled around us forcing us to gather in the middle. They had us right where they wanted us. I looked around and saw the terror in the face of my peaceful, albeit unwise people. This cannot be right I'm thinking to myself. We had done nothing wrong, why were they after us?
One after the other, men dismounted from their horses and everyone cowered in fear as they came closer. I on the other hand just had to get a glimpse of the ruthless men I had grown to hear so much about. for some reason, starring at my fear in the face, made the emotion elude me.

They were tall, and well built. Their entire physique looked like a well thought out chiseled work. 
In an instant, they began a separation process. I looked trying to understand that bases of their selection and separation but found none. 

Even though I couldn't see it, I knew there had to be a pattern. These men didn't seem like the type  that would do something without reason. I focused intensely on what was going on and just as they got to me, it became clear. 
We were being separated based on our colour. Yes we were all dark skinned but a number of us were had a lighter skin tone. 

Omayi was pulled from my side and taken to the the other side. She was darker. I noticed the hesitation when they got to me. It was as though they were confused. Wasn't it obvious where I belonged? I thought to myself. 

I took a step to join the group with whom I shared the same skin tone but I was pulled back. I turned to join my mother on the other side but was restrained. I looked at her and saw a mix a of fear & confusion. She shook her head ever so lightly as if to answer the question I asked within me.  

Just then he came closer. His horse was different. Not black. There was something majestic about the horse and its rider. The gracefulness with which came down from his horse and started walking towards me was none like I had seen. 
The other men bowed and made way as he walked past them, telling us all that he outranked the others. His gaze was intense locking me to a spot. I couldn't take a step even if I wanted to. My heart began to beat haphazardly as he came close. I opened my mouth to speak, but nothing came out. 
His six (6) foot frame displayed perfectly his well formed muscles across his body. he looked like perfection.
I had heard myths about people who had gods as one of their parent, and I believed I was finally seeing one. His gaze finally released mine as he went round about me like one inspecting a piece of merchandise. I became infuriated. Face to face again, his eyes locked into mine again, and I saw in them soft and fierce in them. They looked certain and sure. Oddly they felt safe. 

He took my hands, open my palms and looked into them with every seriousness. I added fortune telling to his credentials. Just then the realization of what had happened to us came back like a flood and in an instant I snatched my hands away from his. He looked up at me, with no expression what so ever. 
I had expected a scowl a frown ,anything to register his displeasure. 

I turned down his second attempt to grasp my hands and the missing frowns found their way to his face. I matched it with mine. If I was going to die, it was would be on my terms and with dignity I thought to myself. 

Without warning he reached out a third time and pulled my hand to himself. I closed my palm, denying him access to whatever fortune he was trying to tell from my hands. He forced them open and I winced in pain,a reaction he seemed to get some satisfaction from, as a smile dashed across his lips. 

I felt defeated and in an instant, without thinking, I launched forward and engaged my own form of self defence- biting. I had done it before thinking to myself that I was either foolish, or very very foolish. I looked around and saw the shock on the faces of everyone. I turned to look at him and he was back to being expressionless. I almost felt sorry. Just then his eyes spoke and all I saw from them was that I had made the wrong move. I opened my mouth to apologize, and bam, just like that the lights went out. 
The only thing I heard as  I hit the floor was my mother screaming my name  'Taaaaajjjjjjj! "

Continues next week 13-03-18. ☺ .

#fiction #writersofinstagram

#writing #novel #LifeLessons #booklover #naijabookclub #nigerianwriters #noordinarylife #noordinarywoman #noordinaryconversation "Taj' is a fictional story born out of my NoOrdinary Imaginations. I would love to know what you think...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Did The Impossible

I AM THAT PANDA 🐼

NO COCOON, NO WINGS